Dot Lure Coursing in Hollister

Dot Lure Coursing in Hollister

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dot's training has been moving along pretty well. Tonight we got her tracking harness from a pet store. Forest green to match her collar. I took her across the street to a park and did a single track with her. Now, I am doing some thing different than how I trained Dino. First, I am walking either Dino or Scout on the track with me, so Dot is being trained to follow an animal from the start, rather than with Dino, who was trained to follow my scent and then had to be switched over. I never understood that. I always thought, "Why not train on an animal scent first?" "Why then switch over?" I mentioned that to Donna but she never said anything. Just recently, she said different which is to start training on an animal from the beginning.

Also, I am using similar scent articles (old clothing pieces) that I am using on Dino. So, I put one of these at the beginning with several chucks of rolled food. That gives her some really good scent to work off of. Then we have the same thing at the end, also with food chunks. I tried that tonight at the beginning and end of a long track of kibble. She was really focused on the ground and looking for something.

I space the kibble pieces out about one foot step in between a few pieces of kibble. On the corners I decreased the space and increased the food. I am slowly making the turns 90 degrees from large rounded turns. This track had some turns, some curves, some straights and then ended onto grass about two feet from the concrete. This was at a busy park in Hayward at about 8 PM. We did the track twice with the same kibble, meaning I did not put down more kibble. She was very focused on the track the whole time. I did make sure she was also hungry to keep her focused. She didn't mind the harness.

No comments: