Dot Lure Coursing in Hollister

Dot Lure Coursing in Hollister

Friday, November 28, 2008

November 28, 2008

Today Dot got her spay sutures out. She was spayed last Tuesday. Because she had puppies, the tech explained that her stomach muscles were all stretched out and they had a wrap around her abdomen when I picked her up.

She has been doing really well in the last three weeks. She loves to sleep on the bed, but she also likes to sleep under the bed, and she likes to sleep in Dino's crate. Luckily Dino has not been possessive over his crate, and he has let her.

She loves to ride in the car and gets very excited when she thinks she is going for a ride. She bounces up and down and jumps right into the back. She goes right into the crate. She actually does something really funny. When she is trying to get into the crate, she runs to the outside of the crate and to the top and around thinking, I guess, that is the way into the crate door. She is getting better about going right into the crate.

We are still practicing having her wait inside the crate, with the door unlatched while I get out, get her leash ready and then I call her. In the beginning, since she didn't know "wait" she bolted right out, but now she has learned to "wait" until I call her. She is getting better about waiting. I have even had Dino come out first, put his leash on, and then call Dot and she stays, but that is more difficult for her.

She is a definite puller on the leash. She just goes right out to the end and pulls and pulls. I have contacted Lisa Bradford and ordered a red halter for a little dog. I also ordered a new leash.

I have not done any formal training with her yet. I will need to start on that. After I got her I started to check around for dog training classes, and I found out that there were not any in Weaverville. I was really surprised. I have never lived in an area where there were not a bunch of trainers to choose from. I asked at the shelter and the vet office and both said they were not aware of any trainers in Weaverville. I would be interested in starting some classes. However, I need to finish up on some other projects (book, uploading all these photos, Cafepress calendars) before I can take on another project.

I do think she will be a great tracking/trailing dog. She has a great nose and loves to follow smells on the road. She is very focus. She is also very courageous. She is not timid.

I have noticed her being barky and growly at people and dogs that are off in the distance. I do both: telling her "quiet" and then distracting her by calling her and doing something else. I think it is a part of her undersocialization. She is unclear what to do about these things, so she barks at them. I do believe that will go away with ongoing socialization.

No comments: